Prepare your home or business for winter weather
Winter weather brings freezing temperatures, and the Tigard/Tualatin and surrounding area is anticipating snowy conditions. Ensure your home or business is prepared by reading the tips below.
- Drain water from the swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines. Do NOT put antifreeze in these lines unless directed; antifreeze is environmentally harmful and is dangerous to humans, pets, wildlife, and landscaping.
- Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
- Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces, if needed. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in these areas.
- Ensure that areas, where water supply lines are located, are insulated enough. Consider leaving kitchen and bathroom sink cabinet doors open and dripping overnight if you think they risk being frozen.
- Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes. Newspapers can provide some degree of insulation and protection to exposed pipes - even ¼” of newspaper can provide significant protection in areas that usually do not have frequent or prolonged temperatures below freezing.
If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home set to a temperature no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Temporarily suspend the use of lower nighttime thermostat temperatures to lower the risk of frozen pipes.
SERVPRO of Sooland specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. We can handle any size disaster!
Call SERVPRO of Sooland (712) 274-2416